When the F-Secure FREEDOME VPN connection is on, my internet connection is very slow. With the connection off, the connection and speed are normal.
A certain decrease in network speed is to be expected when running any VPN solution due to the different ways the web traffic is being handled. You can refer to the following community article for more information about this subject.
If your internet connection is very slow on a Windows computer after turning the FREEDOME VPN protection on, you can try to change the VPN protocol:
If the connection speed for some reason would still crawl to a halt, you can try these steps:
- Open F-Secure FREEDOME
- Go to Settings
- Click Choose VPN protocol
- Switch between OpenVPN and IKEv2
- Turn the VPN protection on
If the issue continues, gather FREEDOME logs, and take speed tests with FREEDOME On, and Off, and contact our customer support.
- Resetting your network router.
- Try FREEDOME with a different network connection to make sure it is not a router issue.
- Try to temporarily disable any antivirus that you have running (for example Panda Security has been known to cause slowness in the FREEDOME VPN connection).
- Reinstall FREEDOME.
- On Windows do DNS flush.
- On Mac clear local DNS cache.
- Delete the existing WiFi profile, and re-connect to the network once again.
Note: If you have hybrid broadband, that might be causing the issue, as the VPN traffic will only travel through the landline portion of the hybrid broadband, not through the wireless portion of the hybrid broadband.
Article no: 000002395