Why is there no internet connection on my computer when F-Secure FREEDOME VPN protection is turned ON?
To try to fix the issue, reset the DNS cache on your computer.
How to reset DNS cache on a Windows computer:
Open the command prompt as an administrator. Click the Windows start button > Type "cmd" > Right-click Command Prompt > Click Run as Administrator.
In the Command prompt, type the command below. After each command, press Enter to execute.
You can restart your machine and check again.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ipv6 reset
If the above steps do not help, the issue might be that your firewall is blocking the connection.If that is the case, you need to change your firewall settings to allow the connection.
Our Android, Windows and macOS products use the OpenVPN protocol. The ports for Android, Mac, and Windows are:
Allow traffic on these ports in your firewall and try to connect Freedome again. Refer to this video on how to open the Windows Firewall and configure the ports:
- TCP/UDP ports in the range 2700 - 2800
- TCP port 443
Check if automatic killswitch is enabled. Here's how to check.
The automatic killswitch is the 4th button under Connection & Status. If it is turned on,
- Open F-Secure FREEDOME VPN
- Click Settings
- Click Allow connections to other devices in trusted networks.
- Check the network you're currently connected to
- Click Save
You can also try reinstalling the F-Secure FREEDOME TAP driver. To uninstall the F-Secure FREEDOME TAP driver using pnputil tool:
Specific programs made to optimize network performance by for example switching between different network connections or deciding how different software is allowed to use the network might also cause issues with Freedome. If you are aware of such software being installed on your computer, try turning it off to see if it has an effect.
- Uninstall F-Secure FREEDOME using the Windows Control Panel
- Restart the computer
- Open a Command Prompt (Run as administrator) window
- Type in command: pnputil -e >list.txt and press enter. This creates a list.txt to the folder where you ran the command.
- Figure out which *.inf file is associated with the F-Secure Freedome TAP driver by searching the word "F-Secure" from list.txt
- Run the command: pnputil.exe -d oem<NUMBER>.inf (this will remove the driver)
- Restart the computer
- Reinstall F-Secure FREEDOME VPN
Article no: 000006587