What tracking information is blocked by the Sense?

aadmun
aadmun Posts: 20 Explorer

Definition on Internet:

Tracking is the collection of data regarding a particular user's activity across multiple websites or applications that aren’t owned by the data collector, and the retention, use or sharing of that data.

Test case:

SUPERAntiSpyware is installed on my TEST-PC.

A full Complete Scan is run and all adware and tracking information is cleared.

The Sense Tracking protection is switched OFF (default state)

Start browsing the Amazon.com website for a few minutes

Do a SUPERAntiSpyware Quick scan

Around 37 detected threats are reported from 22 tracking domains (scan log)

All threats are removed

The Sense Tracking protection is switched ON

Sense Tracking protection start count for this device is 7029

Start browsing the Amazon.com website for a few minutes

Tracking protection count is 7176, difference is 147 blocked threats

Do a SUPERAntiSpyware Quick scan

Around 23 detected threats are reported from 14 tracking domains (scan log)

Questions:

Do I compare apples and pears?

What additional tracking information is blocked by the Sense?  (More than 100)

Why aren’t the threats, detected by SUPERAntiSpyware, blocked by the Sense?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply.

Sense Tracking protection start count for this device is 7029 Start browsing the Amazon.com website for a few minutes Tracking protection count is 7176, difference is 147 blocked threats
    What additional tracking information is blocked by the Sense?  (More than 100)

I able to think that there is can be situation like:

--> You open certain website. There is blocked certain "tracking domain" (or so);

You able to refresh page hundreds time.. and Tracking protection count will be about "hundreds" blocked threats (even it about one certain "tracking domain");

so generally it should sounds as "blocked attempts";

--> With amazon.com there can be their different cdns/resources;

Not sure about SENSE (since - I do not able to use it) or Freedome Tracking protection (since it should not work there while amazon under HTTPS); But my browser able to block three-five amazon-domains/scripts by Tracking Protection module; And it will be with each page;

Why aren’t the threats, detected by SUPERAntiSpyware, blocked by the Sense?

--> I already long time how did not use SUPERAntiSpyware - so I not sure about their current design.

But previously they also marked as "threats" things like "designed" cookies (kind of valid and not "tracking cookies");

Also some of potential tracking cookies (but from 'known' companies) did not blocked by F-Secure as tracking cookies -- since it kind of "valid" cookies;  Or so;

When F-Secure IS was with feature as "remove tracking cookies" ---> I asked F-Secure Labs about "why certain tracking cookies under my system - if features is turned on"; And mainly... such "cookies" marked as tracking under their article: https://www.f-secure.com/sw-desc/tracking_cookie.shtml

Response was that this is not really "tracking cookies"; And that article will be re-edited. But... there still such view (after some years)! // I re-check it and quote of response:

@f-secure Labs wrote:
    Thank you for your report.
    The site  2o7.net is indeed clean and there is no tracking cookies involved from the site. In the future, we will try to update our page tracking cookie.

So, it possible that some potential things detected by SuperAntiSpyware - but not by other companies;

Partly it valid for Potential Unwanted software detections. Even some companies able to detect many applications as such. But another companies have to created certain 'policy' about "what they will detect as potential unwanted"; F-Secure also with this design: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/potentially-unwanted-applications

Generally -> if you have any troubles about Tracking protection blocking by SENSE;

You able to use F-Secure SAS: https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/submit-a-sample#sample-url

And transfer certain URLs for "block it" or "whitelist it"; Also - maybe you able to use F-Secure SAS as try to ask F-Secure Labs about their view for situation;

Sorry for my reply.

Thanks!

• aadmun
    aadmun Posts: 20 Explorer

Thanks Ukko,

There is no need to say sorry for your comments on posts.

As long as the Sense does not clear all tracking cookies from known tracking domains it has not much value to enable tracking in the Sense.

Besides this I would like to see logging of the events. A feature request has been added in the applicable post.

This discussion has been closed.