Apple's © iOs ❝Private W-Fi- Address❞ And F-Secure's SENSE Router

Issues4Life
Issues4Life Posts: 88 Contributor
edited March 2023 in F-Secure Sense

BACKGROUND:

I understand that to communicate with a Wi-Fi network, a device must identify itself to the network using a unique network address called a Media Access Control (MAC) address.

And if the device always uses the same Wi-Fi MAC address across all networks, the "bad guys" can relate that MAC address to the device's network activity and location over time.

This allows tracking and|or profiling and it applies to all devices on all Wi-Fi networks.

HOWEVER:

Our LOCAL NETWORK, across all connected devices ( i.e., laptops, printers, scanners, cell phones, etc. ), works much, much better with Apple's © iOs ❝Private W-Fi- Address❞ turned off on our cell phones.

And it appears that the protection our F-Secure SENSE Router offers remains solid ...

QUESTION:

Exactly, what is the relationship between Apple's © iOs ❝Private W-Fi- Address❞ and the F-Secure SENSE Router?

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• Issues4Life
    Answer ✓

Firmy ...

Again, thank you for your reply ...

We have turned off Apple's "Private Wi-Fi Address" in our mobile devices to accommodate our SENSE Router network ...

So far, everything is working wonderfully and we do not see "new devices" every day in F-Secure's mobile app ...

F-Secure's SENSE Router still offers great network security ...

However, in F-Secure's opinion, is turning off Apple's "Private Wi-Fi Address" the best to manage this situation now and in the future ??

• Firmy
    Firmy Posts: 1,608 Community Manager
    Answer ✓

Hi @Issues4Life

Thank you for your reply.

Our R&D team is investigating and working on it. Currently, we are not able to provide ETA on this matter.

Thank you and stay safe.

Answers

• Firmy

Hi @Issues4Life

Thank you for your post.

Exactly, what is the relationship between Apple's © iOs ❝Private W-Fi- Address❞ and the F-Secure SENSE Router?

Private WIFI address feature is only available on iOS device and Apple Watch. The feature was introduced by Apple on iOS 14, iPadOS 14 and WatchOS 7. This feature protects user's device by randomizing the Mac address from internet service provider create a profile on user's activity.

However, SENSE protects user by monitoring user's network. F-Secure Security Cloud will supervise your network connection to ensure the data transmitted are safe. For more details, you may go to these links

https://community.f-secure.com/sense-router-en/kb/articles/5380-how-does-f-secure-sense-router-work

https://community.f-secure.com/sense-router-en/kb/articles/5412

https://community.f-secure.com/sense-router-en/kb/articles/5368

Hence, in general, there is no relationship between Apple Private WIFI address and F-Secure SENSE since the Apple's feature is protecting the device and SENSE is monitoring activity on the network. However, they are working to protect the user and device.

Kindly let me know if you require further clarification.

Thank you and stay safe.

• Issues4Life

Thank you for your reply ...

However, I have had to "Reset" the SENSE Router, to get rid of the multiple "MAC" addresses the SENSE Router listed for the same device ...

Today, I have turned off "Private Wi-Fi- Address" and now the SENSE Router only sees the actual "MAC" address for our individual devices ...

This is much better ...

This is why I asked, what is the relationship between Apple's © iOs ❝Private W-Fi- Address❞ and the F-Secure SENSE Router ...

• Firmy

Hi @Issues4Life

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your concern and as stated by Apple, the Mac address will keep changing after 24 hours. Hence, due to this behaviour, SENSE will detect the iOS device as a new device connecting to the network.

The new iOS will affect the SENSE service. Apple has announced that they will turn on MAC-address randomization. All iOS devices will have a new random MAC address every day.

This means that SENSE users will every day see their iOS devices appearing in the mobile app as new devices. 

Kindly let me know if you require further assistance.

Thank you and stay safe.

This discussion has been closed.