Sync issues

joddojoddo Posts: 3 New Member

I have the following setup with KEY: A win 10 desktop, an android phone, and a win 10 laptop. None of the devices have any third party anti-virus, only what's included in the OS. I've installed and setup the devices in that order (first installed on desktop, synced to phone, then synced to laptop). Desktop and phone work fine, no issues there, but almost every time I try syncing on the laptop I get the "incorrect synchronization code" error. About once in the every 30 tries I actually do get it to sync on the laptop and as soon as I lock KEY on the laptop it immediately forgets the sync and I need to re-sync again.

As it stands, KEY is currently pretty much unusable for me because after every system restart I need to go through the same pain of re-syncing on the laptop.

Answers

• joddojoddo Posts: 3 New Member

I did some additional snooping, and the log file KeyLib.log is full of errors like this:

KeyStorage::WriteStorage: Can't open file for writing: C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\F-Secure\NS\idp\IDP\storage.json

• UkkoUkko Posts: 3,137 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just as a clarification: is it really F-Secure KEY? Or maybe F-Secure ID Protection (as a replacement for KEY solution)?

Because, this page: https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/products/key

with words about the point that F-Secure ID Protection is recommended (already) instead of F-Secure KEY solution (though still available to download it).

And your system path with "IDP" part (however, maybe, this wording also used by F-Secure KEY on current day).

Although, of course, this is not important (KEY or ID Protection).... but anyway. Also, I thought whether all devices with one solution (KEY or ID Protection) or some device with another solution? But I did not think that sync between KEY and ID Protection instances should work even just once for a while.

Desktop and phone work fine, no issues there, but almost every time I try syncing on the laptop I get the "incorrect synchronization code" error. About once in the every 30 tries I actually do get it to sync on the laptop and as soon as I lock KEY on the laptop it immediately forgets the sync and I need to re-sync again.

Did you mean try to connect devices or something else? I mean, when does the "incorrect synchronization code" actually happen? After what steps?

KeyStorage::WriteStorage: Can't open file for writing:

Of course, it is not really a good suggestion - but maybe your instance / file is somewhat about stuck. So, I feel about some steps to try:

• restart system; especially if your  laptop is configured to "fast boot up" (or something like that - when system is actually never with proper shutdown).
    • reinstall F-Secure KEY (or F-Secure ID Protection). With uninstallation "User Data" too. Should be visible in "List of installed applications" next to F-Secure KEY entry.

Good to be with backup of your passwords before any tries to troubleshoot. And, also, it is possible to use F-Secure Uninstallation tool (to choose 'manually what to uninstall' - then KEY/KEY User data): Support tools | F-Secure (f-secure.com)

Sorry for my reply. And sorry for my English.

Thanks!

• joddojoddo Posts: 3 New Member

It's KEY, not ID Protection. And I've tried restarting and reinstalling multiple times, no use there.

The "incorrect synchronization code" happens when I'm inputting the synchronization code on the laptop...

That the program fails to write information to a config file (as suggested by the error message I found) while it's still able to write error logs sounds like a bug in the software. Aren't there any support people from F-Secure reading these forums..?

• UkkoUkko Posts: 3,137 Superuser
    edited January 19

Hello,

Thanks for your response and reply.

The "incorrect synchronization code" happens when I'm inputting the synchronization code on the laptop...

But you need to do it once. And I was confused by your original sentence:

About once in the every 30 tries I actually do get it to sync on the laptop

If at least once (for the first time, in general) you connected a device with another ("main"), then they should be synchronized automatically (in the background). Just as a reference to User Guide: How do I sync my F-Secure KEY password data with my other devices? | KEY | Multi-Platform | F-Secure User Guides (f-secure.com)

In principle, the current status of the laptop can be understood by the following points:

• Are there words "F-Secure PREMIUM" here in the interface (or F-Secure FREE)?
    • "Menu > Connect devices" with codes (generated) and time countdown? In addition to the field with an ability to put code from another device.

If so - then your laptop installation is already synced (somehow).

Thus,

and as soon as I lock KEY on the laptop it immediately forgets the sync and I need to re-sync again.

Did you mean that you couldn't "connect" the device from the start?  By "incorrect synchronization code" output after tries, but when it suddenly did work out (and, accordingly, probably the F-Secure KEY installation changed its status from Free to Premium) - everything was reset to "Free" at the next start?

That the program fails to write information to a config file (as suggested by the error message I found) while it's still able to write error logs sounds like a bug in the software

Perhaps, "storage.json" is your encrypted (obfuscated) entries from KEY and subject of "sync". Of course, there can be some troubles (in your setting) to provoke difficulties with synchronizations on that particular device.

For example, user profile name. Otherwise, I am not sure what else can be in comparison to your another Windows 10 device (where all is fine with F-Secure KEY; and something that still not encountered/fixed before). Also when reinstallation (with proper uninstallation and clean up) was not helpful. All that remains is the system settings or something else.

Aren't there any support people from F-Secure reading these forums..?

They read it. When they have the opportunity. In addition, the Community is constantly monitored by F-Secure Community Moderators and Managers (and they can also escalate the problem to responsible people).

But the main task of the Community Forum is help from the community and the opportunity for official people to interact with the community.

Therefore, you can simply speed up the process by contacting the official Support channel: Contact F-Secure support | F-Secure (f-secure.com)

web-chat (right-bottom corner) should be available 24/7 (when Support Agents are free).

// one else point is that maybe something wrong with F-Secure KEY backend. Since of mention of "switch" to F-Secure ID Protection as an advanced password manager.

Thanks!