Cant log in to my f-secure KEY app in android anymore

Hi All,

I am unable to log in to my  f-secure KEY app since yesterday. When I enter my master key, app exits with the error: "There was a problem opening KEY. Please restart your device". I have rebooted my phone couple of times, but it didnt help. Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Yoop

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,995 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user;

Just as clarification about your situation:

--> Do you have any backup for your entries/passwords from Android device?

Or another "synced"-devices?

If yes - and it means that you able to be with "save"-status for your entries/passwords - maybe there possible to re-check some points like (but after creating 'backup' password/entries):

- if there installed latest F-Secure Key for Android (4.6.0?! probably);

- if there was any changes for Android device?

- if you did not enter you masterpassprhase (but just a random) - it not crashed, but give the notification that there is wrong masterpassword?

- if you have "recovery code" - does it possible to use it and login by this step?

- if reinstallation for F-Secure Key can be helpful there?

If not - and there potential troublesituation with getting "passwords" back;

Maybe you have to contact F-Secure Support directly by chat or phone:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

Kind of ask - if there known trouble with recent Key builds and Android certain device;

And if Support able to provide any proper advices/suggestions.

Since - there maybe required investigation about reasons for such "crash";

Thanks!

Saliya
  • TfHTfH Posts: 3

Same here, uninstalled and reinstalled on Windows and Android. Android doesn't accept the master password and same goes for syncing, keeps popping up the master password screen.

@TfH wrote:

Same here, uninstalled and reinstalled on Windows and Android. Android doesn't accept the master password and same goes for syncing, keeps popping up the master password screen.

Maybe your situation more related with such view (?):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/KEY-app-crashes-on-Android/m-p/94978

Where was kind of "result" after some tries.

Thanks!

• TfHTfH Posts: 3

Tried that too and didn't work. This problem started completely out of the blue. Weirdly everything works on PC. Can login using master password but the Android app is down. 

UkkoMargosDezerianparla

@TfH wrote:

Tried that too and didn't work. This problem started completely out of the blue. Weirdly everything works on PC. Can login using master password but the Android app is down. 

Maybe you able to contact their direct Support Channel as chat:

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

Not sure - if there can be useful such step, but Support maybe able to provide some advices/tips (if there is known trouble with Android-platform).

I will suggest - that you have to to inform them about steps which already tried (at first). And maybe there required kind of "logs" to F-Secure Key team (as proper investigation what happened there when there trouble happen);

Since there can be a lot of different suggestions and potential trouble-reasons.... so maybe reasonable to start from Support (if there is already known trouble; or if there is available steps to re-check it directly with F-Secure Key team);

Thanks!

• Same here,out of the blue on my Smartphone with Android 7.1.1 I could finally log in again after deinstalling and reinstall the app and sync from another device(where it works without a problem on 2 other Smartphones and 2 Laptops),but not all passwords where synced(around only 33 of 85)and after some time the app crashes again and tells me to restart(didn't help).

Must be a problem with a newer Update of the app because there are some people with the same problem it seems and before it was running without a problem.

Ukko
  • dlmdlm Posts: 4

Same thing just happened to me a few hours ago, where 2 of 3 Android devices weren't working.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling then connecting Key to the working one.   Didn't work, though I tried a few times.   I noticed both of the problem Androids had just installed a new update of the Android System WebView, so I removed the update and reinstalled/connected and all is working again. Hope this helps. 

UkkoLakshMargosDezerianSaliya
  • THX very much my friend for your help,that was the problem!Now it works like usual!!!

Ukko
  • SaliyaSaliya Posts: 2

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. As "dlm" suggested I have just uninstalled "Android System WebView" and KEY app started working again.

Note that I didnt uninstall / reinstall KEY app. I just uninstalled "Android System WebView"  and everything is  working now!

• dlmdlm Posts: 4

I assumed uninstalling WebView would be sufficient, but I had already done some reinstalls of Key.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

Ukko
  • YoopYoop Posts: 1

Well, is it really a good idea to install Android System web view? It is part of the system, used by many apps and several (security) updates will be gone after uninstalling it :-(

What I have experienced is that the problem only occurs on devices not running on Android Nougat. With Android 7.x, F-Secure key is still working fine. But with Android 5.x and 6.x this issue occurs on every of my devices.

• For me it is the opposite,I have only problems on Nougat 7.1.1 when WebView in the newest version is installed.On my two other devices with 6.0.1 and 4.4.2 even with WebView no problems so far.

• ChenshChensh Posts: 1

Hi,

The issue is caused by 'Android system webview' update , so please just 'uninstall updates' from setting->apps->Android system webview, then the issue will be disappear. We will improve KEY to fit latest 'Android system webview'. Sorry for any inconvenience!

F-Secure KEY team

UkkoMargosDezerian
  • parlaparla Posts: 1

Same for me with two androids at the same time

• The Update is available on Play Store now, the bug is fixed!

Thx for the quik response @fsecure.

Ukkoparla
  • Ingo93Ingo93 Posts: 5

Hi.

Still not working on Samsung Galaxy TabS with Android 6.0.1. I have unstall both Webview and F - secure key and the install only F - secure key but F - secure key still stop after master password had been enterd. Also try to sync from another device but after master password hade been entered F - secure key stop.

Can F-secure look on this problem again?

• LakshLaksh Posts: 4,432 Community Manager

Hi Ingo93,

May I know which version of KEY is currently installed on your Android device?

• Ingo93Ingo93 Posts: 5

Hi

Version 4.6.1. I have now notice that it also problem in Samsung Galaxy 7 white Android  7.0, same version for F-secure key 4.6.1.

• LakshLaksh Posts: 4,432 Community Manager

Hi @Ingo93,

I have now escalated your issue to our Support team for further investigation. One of our support team member will get in touch with you further via email.

This discussion has been closed.