What if computer crashes? How to recover keys?

Hi, couldn't find information with a brief search, so how about recovering the keys, if my computer crashes? Is there difference between free and premium here?

Best Answer

• BenBen Posts: 2,640
    Accepted Answer

You can export your data from the application as explained on this article if you wish.

Note that premium version is intended for multi-device use.

Sohannin

Comments

• BenBen Posts: 2,640

Hello Sohannin,

With the premium version of F-Secure Key your passwords will be synchronised with your other devices and won't be lost if your computer is completely letting you down.

• Hi, thanks for the quick answer!

Let's assume I have only one device with premium version - they still disappear then?

• @Ben wrote:

You can export your data from the application as explained on this article if you wish.

Note that premium version is intended for multi-device use.

That causes the passwords to be in plain text format somewhere again. I could of course encrypt that location too, but that is too much of a hassle. If possible, you could improve the product in the future by making it possible to retrieve the storage e.g. from your cloud to user, without any multi device requirement. Or make it possible to define the location of the key storage file so that it could be stored on a network drive for backup purposes.Or backup functionality that does the same to user defined location. 

This discussion has been closed.