Application lost / vanished on OS X 10.10.1

I wonder what took place in the following.

I installed F-Secure KEY on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.10.1 a few days ago. Application showed nicely in the top-of-the-screen-icon-bar. I entered something like 100+ websites with usernames and passwords in KEY. I was able to generate new passwords, copy created passwords, etc. exactly like one would expect.

Today 22.12.2014 when I restarted my Mac, F-Secure KEY application is nowhere to find. Nothing in Applications-folder, no results when searched, etc. Wow, what happened?

Any ideas from anyone what to do in order to get the application back? Or am I just lost where the application is located?

Best Answer

• Harri_KHarri_K Posts: 9
    Accepted Answer

Hi,

Normally Key gets installed in your Applications like everything else. At least we have not seen such vanishing behaviour before.

OS X has two Applications directories, the global one that is on your Finder Favorites and second one inside your home directory. Is there no "F-Secure Key" in either of them?

If you still cannot find the application, no worries, you can just install Key again. Make sure that in the installer you drag the Key icon to Applications instead of double clicking. Then run Key from Applications.

Comments

• MimaMima Posts: 2

@Mima wrote:

I wonder what took place in the following.

I installed F-Secure KEY on my MacBook Pro OS X 10.10.1 a few days ago. Application showed nicely in the top-of-the-screen-icon-bar. I entered something like 100+ websites with usernames and passwords in KEY. I was able to generate new passwords, copy created passwords, etc. exactly like one would expect.

Today 22.12.2014 when I restarted my Mac, F-Secure KEY application is nowhere to find. Nothing in Applications-folder, no results when searched, etc. Wow, what happened?

Any ideas from anyone what to do in order to get the application back? Or am I just lost where the application is located?

Thanks Harri and another person for out-of-the-box problem solving. 

In fact, I had double-clicked the application to install it like one often does with Mac. And I did not pay attention to that the application I was using was in fact the application to be installed, i.e. dragged to the application folder.

I would recommend that F-Secure makes the installation on Mac in the same way as 

1) Google Drive if F-Secure wants user to drag KEY-application to the Application folder. There is a clear arrow indicating what to do, or

2) Dropbox if F-Secure wants user to double click KEY-application installer.

This discussion has been closed.