F-Secure Key (Android) main password lost - how to get a new main password

Hi

I have been using F-Secure Key more than a month in my Android pohne. Very handy and good application. This application never asked for the main password after the initial setup. For some reson today morning the app asked the main password, but because I have not needed the main password I can not remember what it is and it is only stored to the app it self. I'm stuck! Will be a huge work to get all the tens of passwords replaced by new ones. Is there any way to get a new main password, for example using banking (Nordea for example) identification?

Best Regards

Rauno

Best Answer

• barabara Posts: 6
    Accepted Answer

Hi

Case closed.

I kind of "meditated" to remember my main password and finally about 14:th trial was a success and I got thorugh, so now I have all the passwords back.

But really there should be a clear note for the new users about keeping the main password in a good safe. Normally you can ask for a new password to be sent to your email, but not for F-Secure Key.

Also there should be a clear warning for the user that in the coming days the main password will be asked and not just directly ask, to have chance to check the main password.

Best Regards

Rauno

Comments

• Hello Rauno!

I'm sorry to say no. There is no way to recover your master password. 

++lauri

bara
  • BenBen Posts: 2,640

Hello Rauno,

Please refer to this article.

For information on how to reset it check this thread.

bara

Hi

ok, there is no way to get a new main password.

Being so, why then the app suddenly asks for a main password after a long period of time when it didn't ask it. The functionality just can't be this way if the result is totally irreversible loss of passwords. Please make a fix to the app so that this kind of sudden and unexpected event do not happen in future usage of the app.

Best Regards

Rauno

You cannot get you old master password back. However you can create a new one by following the thread I mentioned above.

Concerning the lock time on your devices, please refer to these two articles for more information:

How can I lock F-Secure Key on my desktop?

How can I lock F-Secure Key on my mobile?

Note: For security reasons, F-Secure does not have access to your master password. You only know your master password, so keep it safe.

Hi Ben

Thanks for the info, but going to "this thread" of  you reply's "For information on how to reset it check this thread." gives only info of how to do everything from the beginning (like getting the app first time), it does not give info how to reset the main password. I'm confused, so again:

Is it possible somehow to see the stored passwords (there are tens of those in the app). I kind of understood from your reply that the main password can be resetted, but I do not figure out how. I understood also that there is no way to get a new password. I kindly ask if you could copy me the exact link how to reset Android main password, if that is possible.

Best Regards

Rauno

Hello Bara,

Thank you for the happy update. As mentioned this is for security reason that F-Secure doesn't handle the master password. So that no one can get to the stored passwords.

Hi,

OK.

Now I should "Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.". Sorry my dummyness but just simply can't find anything to press to mark this as Accept As Solution.

BRDS Rauno

Hi again,

After sending the previous email, the Acceps As Solution was clearly visible. 

This discussion has been closed.