Problem with F-Secure Key

In the F-Secure Key program the password generator needs to allow me to specify the particular special characters that are allowed.  I have a bank web site where I'm required to use special characters, but only from a list of about 10 of them, others are not allowed.  I've tried generating many of your random passwords, and they always use characters I can't use, but I can't turn off the special character function because I'm required to use some of them.

Best Answer

• Lauri_HLauri_H Posts: 59
    Accepted Answer

Hello Lloyd,

I feel your pain, I also have stumbled upon websites requiring special characters but only accepting them from a short list. In this case, I generate without special characters and just edit couple in by hand. Luckily most sites do accept all characters, and in proper lengths too. 

Productwise, I think making the special characters list editable won't happen, but I'm not the product manager, so I can't really say. 

++lauri

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,978 Superuser

Hello,

But you can after "generated" password... edit result by hand;

Here you can also re-place any "scpecial characters", which not able to use for service; Re-place to another "supported" characters. It's already will be not really "random", but anyway can be still strong password.

Sorry if with your device... it's not a work.

• AimoAimo Posts: 18

I will just generate a new random key a few times and one of them will not have the offending character. I'll use that.

ps. It seems that some sites block at least  ' and " and # and ; used in shell scripting or sql. The need to do that kind of filtering does not give a warm fuzzy feeling about the way things work behind the scenes on those sites... "Hey, someone sent something to us... let's evaluate it as an instruction" Smiley Very Happy

This discussion has been closed.