F-Secure KEY and LastPass

I'm egar to try F-Secure KEY.  I've been using LastPass for years and hav accumulated a lot of passwords I'd like to import.

The problem is, LastPass exports only in CSV format and KEY imports XML.  I've tried using Excel to convert but still KEY refuses the import.  Can anyone help me here?

Walt

Comments

• JouniJouni Posts: 135 F-Secure Product Expert

Hello Walt,

Currently it is not supported to import passwords in CSV/LastPass format.

However, I will forward this as a feature request for future releases. Thank you for the feedback!

• Put my strong vote in favor of CSV import as well.  No way I could convert from what I use without importing.

• NikKNikK Posts: 931

A question to F-Secure:

I don't see either Key or Freedome under products on the F-Secure site. Not at the bottom of all pages either, under the headline Products where all other products are listed. Is there a reason for this?

• SimonSimon Posts: 2,600 Superuser
    I've never heard of it, but would be interested to have a look at it.
  • OK, here's an idea...

I only know the very basics if XML, but I'm thinking that maybe removing some or all of the initial stuff that Excel put on this file might make F-Secure KEY happy.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what KEY would want?

----------------  BEGINNING OF XML FILE EXPORTED BY EXCEL -----------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Workbook xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley Surprisedffice:spreadsheet"
     xmlnsSmiley Surprised="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley SurprisedfficeSmiley Surprisedffice"
     xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley Surprisedffice:excel"
     xmlns:ss="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley Surprisedffice:spreadsheet"
     xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
     <DocumentProperties xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley SurprisedfficeSmiley Surprisedffice">
      <Author>Walt Scrivens</Author>
      <LastAuthor>Walt Scrivens</LastAuthor>
      <Created>2013-11-26T13:54:57Z</Created>
      <Version>14.0</Version>
     </DocumentProperties>
     <OfficeDocumentSettings xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley SurprisedfficeSmiley Surprisedffice">
      <AllowPNG/>
     </OfficeDocumentSettings>
     <ExcelWorkbook xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiley Surprisedffice:excel">
      <WindowHeight>12120</WindowHeight>
      <WindowWidth>25360</WindowWidth>
      <WindowTopX>240</WindowTopX>
      <WindowTopY>240</WindowTopY>
      <ProtectStructure>False</ProtectStructure>
      <ProtectWindows>False</ProtectWindows>
     </ExcelWorkbook>
     <Styles>
      <Style ss:ID="Default" ss:Name="Normal">
       <Alignment ss:Vertical="Bottom"/>
       <Borders/>
       <Font ss:FontName="Calibri" x:Family="Swiss" ssSmiley Frustratedize="12" ss:Color="#000000"/>
       <Interior/>
       <NumberFormat/>
       <Protection/>
      </Style>
     </Styles>
     <Worksheet ss:Name="lp.csv">
      <Table ss:ExpandedColumnCount="7" ss:ExpandedRowCount="282" x:FullColumns="1"
       x:FullRows="1" ssSmiley Very HappyefaultColumnWidth="65" ssSmiley Very HappyefaultRowHeight="15">
       <Row>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">url</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">username</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">password</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">extra</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">name</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">grouping</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">fav</Data></Cell>
       </Row>
    ----------------------------------------------

After this comes the actual password data.

Walt

• SimonSimon Posts: 2,600 Superuser

Love the unintentional smiley invasion!  Smiley LOL

• an xml format you could try to translate is the one passwordsafe uses, without the gibberish it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <passwordsafe>
      <entry>
        <title>dummy</title>
        <url>http://aca.com</url>
        <username>a user</username>
        <password>a password</password>
        <notes>a note</notes>
      </entry>
    </passwordsafe>

the fields in lastpass are, as you saw:

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">url</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">username</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">password</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">extra</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">name</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">grouping</Data></Cell>
        <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">fav</Data></Cell>

so the mapping would be

csv name => xml title

csv url => xml url

csv username => xml username

csv password =>xml password

csv extra => xml notes

be mindful that in general csv files are plain ascii text, im not sure if lastpass saves it as utf-8 csv or not, you may have issues with some characters depending on the alphabet you normally use, be specially carefull when those characters are in your passwords as they may not translate properly (any ascii char < 128 should be safe to convert)

As long as you used only numbers, letters (in the english alphabet) and the most common symbols your conversion should work.

Hope it helps

-Mat

• Hello,

Some problems with csv files are the passwords. Since a password can contain allsorts of characters, It might be hard to figure out where a password starts and ends. 

For instance, Imagine a csv format of name, password, url to service where the values are delimited by a semicolon. So it adhers to the format:

name;password;url

Then what if your password happens to be hGt235;64)(;ht a line in the csv file might look like:

Bob;hGt235;64)(;ht;http://community.f-secure.com, It is going to be rather annoying to parse it.

++lauri

• Just wanted to contribute to this thread. I feel exactly the same as the TO.

I wanted to switch from lastpass to f-secure key, but couldn't do so due to the fact, that f-secure wouldn't accept .csv files.

Anyhow, I would really appreciate, if this application would support .csv files in the future, for it seems to be a great program. Smiley Happy

• HannuTHannuT Posts: 10

you can export xml from Lastpass but also that is rejected by Key...

• Well, one could do that, but this file would be encrypted and what we need is the raw data...

• Yep, there are many different formats out there and our hands are full at the moment.

However I managed to squeeze some time for a quick script to help those who are eager to use fskey, it is unofficial, unsupported and all the applicable disclaimers :)

If you're interested in giving it a try (again, it is lightly tested!) here are the steps:

Export from lastpass in csv format

Copy the exported data from the web page into a file, say lastpass.csv (NOTE be sure to save it as UNICODE, the option can be found when you do File / Save As... down close to the save button where it says encoding if you're using notepad)

Download the script attached and put it in the same folder where the csv file was saved (let's say c:\temp)

from the command line, run:

lastpass2key.vbs lastpass.csv fskeydata.xml

it shoud show you a window that says "Done" once it finished (just a second or 2)

from fskey, import the fskeydata.xml file

WARNING:

Importing your data multiple times will create your data multiple times! it does not check if an entry already exists with that name.

If you give it a try, please let us know if it worked ok for you,

-Matias

Chrissy
  • Uops, this is bound to happen with quick and dirty scripts :)

Would it be possible for you to try out with the same file, but be sure that there's no extra characters at the end of the file?

To do so simply open the csv file, go to the last visible character and press the delete key repeatedly, do not add any extra enter / return / space after the last character / letter, as this is my best guess as to what your problem is.

br

-Matias

Same error Smiley Sad

Any recommendations which editor I should use for saving?

Is there anything that is needed in pc? software?

H.

:)

Now it worked:

- edit with Win std Notepad - previously I was using Notepad++

- save as Unicode (as stated in intructions)

But main thing was to use notepad.

H.

ps. also import worked :) Now have to see if data was really imported ok... Smiley Wink

Chrissy

• @matias wrote:

Yep, there are many different formats out there and our hands are full at the moment.

However I managed to squeeze some time for a quick script to help those who are eager to use fskey, it is unofficial, unsupported and all the applicable disclaimers :)

If you're interested in giving it a try (again, it is lightly tested!) here are the steps:

Export from lastpass in csv format

Copy the exported data from the web page into a file, say lastpass.csv (NOTE be sure to save it as UNICODE, the option can be found when you do File / Save As... down close to the save button where it says encoding if you're using notepad)

Download the script attached and put it in the same folder where the csv file was saved (let's say c:\temp)

from the command line, run:

lastpass2key.vbs lastpass.csv fskeydata.xml

it shoud show you a window that says "Done" once it finished (just a second or 2)

from fskey, import the fskeydata.xml file

WARNING:

Importing your data multiple times will create your data multiple times! it does not check if an entry already exists with that name.

If you give it a try, please let us know if it worked ok for you,

-Matias

How do I run the commands?

• FrisjoFrisjo Posts: 55

Hello Adrianleong98

Sorry for the late reply to your post.

To run a command you need to enter CMD. This can be opened by pressing windows button+R and the go to the folder where you have the files named in the instruction and then writing the command. 

Instructions how to go to a folder in cmd can be found here.

Br

Johan

• When I tried to run the commands, I get an error message saying: "Unrecognised file format". Could you tell me what I am doing wrong?

• ChrissyChrissy Posts: 439

Hi AdrianLeong98!

Just following-up on this rather old post, and wondering whether you were able to get this issue solved, or if you still need any help?  Please let us know!

// Chrissy

• bubebube Posts: 1

I'm trying to import my passwords from Lastpass, but I have this same problem.

I also get an error "Unrecognized filetype" when I run the script.

These are my steps:

1. Export passwords in csv from Lastpass as lpass.csv

2. Open the file in Notepad, save as > pass.csv > Unicode format

3. Open command prompt and run the command

4. Error...

Please help me, because I've had enough of Lastpass

This discussion has been closed.