Location of password database

Sam_Mael
Sam_Mael Posts: 2 New Member

How can I backup password database of Key Premiumin (version 5.1.1852.0)?

In earlier versions database was in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\F-Secure\Pwmgr but after upgrade that directory is empty.

Where is the database located now?

In case OS relevant, I have Windows 10 2004.

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,241 Superuser
    Accepted Answer

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user. Just as my own understanding:

In principle, you should not rely on this kind of backup, since there may be no guarantees that nothing will change later and there will be still(?) "compatibility" with this way. Perhaps, you could try to use something like "Export" to plain-text (json format, probably) .fsk file. Then to zip it with encryption (password, for example) and store it as "localstorage" (database). Then you can import it back someday (if needed or look at this file).

But anyway,

In earlier versions database was in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\F-Secure\Pwmgr but after upgrade that directory is empty.

You can try to look at NS\idp\IDP instead of Pwmgr. But I have not tried to check if this works the same as before.

Also, since your experience about KEY Premium. Then, being with at least one active device is a kind of 'backup' (even for a subscription).

Thanks!

Answers

• Sam_Mael
    Sam_Mael Posts: 2 New Member

Thanks Ukko. Following your suggestion I found password database located in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\F-Secure\NS\idp\IDP\storage.json.

I tested by transferring this file to other device and Key showed by passwords there without syncing them from internet. I prefer automatically backing up this file rather that manually exporting and encrypting the export.

Syncing between my laptop and phone is indeed my main way duplicating my data. I want extra backup for worst case scenarios like having my laptop and phone stolen at the same time.

Ukko