Key vs ID Protection

marihmarih Posts: 7 New Member

Hello,

I tried googling and looking at your forums, but did not find answers, so maybe this will help. I've been hearing ads on the radio about F-Secure ID protection. I have a paid subscription to F-Secure Key which I use for all my passwords. Some questions:

1) What is the difference between Key and ID Protection? Is the latter just a newer product with more features?

2) Is it going to replace Key?

3) How would I go about switching to ID Protection subscription-wise?

4) How about password transfer-wise? I found some instructions for transferring on desktop, but I only have key on my iPhone. I don't think my 2008 Macbook is supported anymore. At least it doesn't have the latest OS updates. Yes, I have been paying the subscription even though I only use it on one device, because I like the product.

5) If I do manage to switch, can the subscription be shared to my kids using iOS App Store's family sharing? Or is there a free version for one device like Key has? They don't have any password manager yet, but it's about time they get one.

Answers

• LucaseuropaLucaseuropa Posts: 254 Moderator

Hello @marih !

Thank you very much for your post and for your interest in our products.

I will try to briefly answer all of your questions.

1) What is the difference between Key and ID Protection? Is the latter just a newer product with more features?

2) Is it going to replace Key?

ID PROTECTION has now replaced KEY in My F-Secure as part of our new offering to prevent identity theft. ID PROTECTION offers not only a password manager, but also email monitoring to keep track of data breaches and other cyber-security incidents that may affect your passwords and personal data.

With F-Secure TOTAL, the number of ID PROTECTION licenses and monitored items is determined by your TOTAL subscription. For example, if you have a 5-device subscription, you can have ID PROTECTION on five devices with up to 10 email addresses monitored.

As with your other TOTAL apps, you install ID PROTECTION on mobile and desktop devices through My F-Secure with your account credentials.

If you already have F-Secure KEY in use on a device, your passwords in KEY can be transferred to ID PROTECTION.

3) How would I go about switching to ID Protection subscription-wise?

You can sign up first for a free 5-day trial from the F-Secure website and try out ID PROTECTION on 5 devices.

Once the trial ends, you can then make the choice to continue with ID PROTECTION either by purchasing from our website or through the app.

The free trial applies both to mobile, as well as desktop devices; however, if you already have a KEY subscription, we advise to take the ID PROTECTION trial on a mobile device. This way it is easy to transfer your data in KEY should you choose to stay with ID PROTECTION after the trial.

Signing up for a trial also means that you need to create a My F-Secure account, if you do not already have one.

If you wish to find out more about this program, I highly encourage you to visit our F-Secure ID Protection Help Page 😉

Cheers,

Lucas

JaimsUkko
  • marihmarih Posts: 7 New Member

Hi,

I’ve been meaning to ask about transferring my license from Key to ID Protection. I don’t want to pay for both and I’ve paid my yearly subscription until I think July or August.

Now Key is offering me a chance to move my license to ID Protection for me. The problem is: it doesn’t work. I think the problem is I have an existing F-Secure account (to post to this community, in fact), but I don’t have any licenses on it. So it just says no license, whether I try from wherever Key takes me to move my license, or by installing ID Protection and logging in there. I also can’t find any kind of license id from Key, though it does say I have an active subscription. Could be because I bought it via App Store. Please help!

• TheoGrayTheoGray Posts: 17 Explorer

Hello @Lucaseuropa

Could you give a response to part 5) of @marih 's question please. This is something that doesn't appear to be explained anywhere on your website and is only mentioned in the basic statement "Choose the subscription ... based on your ... family members’ needs" on the ID PROTECTION sales page.

Specifically I am interested in knowing:

• Would one 10-device subscription cover 4 family members with a total of 10 devices between them each having their own password "vault" (i.e. 10 x devices, 4 x separate vaults)? If an 11th device needs to be added do we just have to add an additional 5-device license to the F-Secure account?
    • How is a single device (e.g. Windows/Mac computer) used by multiple family members counted? Just 1 device or 1 device-per-user?
    • Presumably there would be just 1 x F-Secure account logged into all 10 devices rather than each member having their own F-Secure account?
    • Are the password "vaults" still only stored on the individual devices as with KEY or are they now being stored in the My F-Secure account "in the cloud" as well?
    • Are there any plans to add sharing of passwords/vaults between family members to ID PROTECTION?

Ukko

Dear @TheoGray,

Thank you for your message. Please bear in mind that F-Secure ID Protection subscription does not support the Apple Family Sharing service. Family Sharing is not supported by Apple for apps with auto-renewable subscriptions.

The F-Secure ID Protection Apple App Store page incorrectly states that Family Sharing is supported by F-Secure ID Protection: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/f-secure-id-protection/id1507948280

As such, an F-Secure ID Protection subscription bought directly through Apple App Store can be shared between iOS devices that are using the same AppleID used to buy the subscription.

In this case I would suggest purchasing F-Secure ID Protection subscription directly on our website here: https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/products/id-protection

Would one 10-device subscription cover 4 family members with a total of 10 devices between them each having their own password "vault" (i.e. 10 x devices, 4 x separate vaults)? If an 11th device needs to be added do we just have to add an additional 5-device license to the F-Secure account?

F-Secure ID Protection purchased directly on our website requires from you creating your own, personal My F-Secure account. Once you log in there, it will look like that:

You can share your F-Secure ID Protection with your family members or friends. Just click on "+ Install ID Protection" and then choose "Someone else's device" and click on Continue:

The person you add will receive an invitation email that allows them to set up their My F-Secure sub account. Once the account has been set up, they would need to be logged in with their email address and password then the next stage would be to install the program on their device(s).

If you are sharing your F-Secure ID PROTECTION or F-Secure TOTAL licenses with subusers, they might have added their own e-mail address for monitoring. In this case you cannot see their e-mail address that they are monitoring, you will only see the number of e-mails that can be added for monitoring.

All members within your My F-Secure group use the licenses and the email monitoring quota available with your subscription. The number of email addresses that you can add for monitoring within your group depends on your subscription.

All the My F-Secure group members who have their own accounts see only their own list of monitored email addresses. Also notifications about data breaches, if any, are shown only for the user who has added the email address for monitoring, keeping the breach information private for each user.

If the group members share the same My F-Secure account; for example parents usually share their accounts with their small children, the list of monitored email addresses is visible to those within the same account. Then, also data breach alerts related to those email addresses are visible to everyone using the same account.

How is a single device (e.g. Windows/Mac computer) used by multiple family members counted? Just 1 device or 1 device-per-user?

I'd assume basing on our other programs that are using licenses, 1 user = 1 license. Let's say you have 2 accounts on 1 device, i.e. your main admin account and a guest user and you want to install IDP twice, then it's being counted as 2 licenses. However, I'll test that for you and let you know should it be different.

Presumably there would be just 1 x F-Secure account logged into all 10 devices rather than each member having their own F-Secure account?

I hope I've already addressed that above.

Are the password "vaults" still only stored on the individual devices as with KEY or are they now being stored in the My F-Secure account "in the cloud" as well?

I do encourage you to familiarize yourself with the following information here:

Cheers,

Lucas

TheoGrayUkko

@Lucaseuropa can you answer my follow-up question about moving from key to id above?

@marih

I will contact you privately via a dm as I cannot find any purchases linked with your email address used for this forum.

We will sort it out for you, no worries.

Cheers,

Lucas

Jaims
  • TheoGrayTheoGray Posts: 17 Explorer

Thank you @Lucaseuropa , that is very helpful.

• LuluHLuluH Posts: 2 New Member

Hello

I am in the same situation as Marih

I have F-secure key with a subscription until Jan 2022 so I am reluctant to upgrade to ID protection and loose 8 months

My subscription was purchased and renewed via Google playstore and is running on 3 devices Android phone/PC/Minix TV box

Not that I really need any of the additional features that you want to sell me😥

F-Secure Key is perfect for me to keep my PC, android phone and Minix TV box passwords

in syncronisation. If I can no longer do that I shall be very upset.

Transfering 200+ passwords to a new application will be a major headache

@LuluH Id can be used very much like key, and the password transfer worked the same as if you were adding a new device for key, i.e. it was easy.

Hopefully @Lucaseuropa can tell you what to do about the subscription. Weird that, one would think they’d stop selling year-long subscriptions a year before killing a product.

Jaims

Dear @LuluH,

I will contact you privately in order to sort this out 🙂

Cheers,

Lucas