how to set up a network that is capable of high speed internet in all the rooms of my house

System
System Posts: 127 Enthusiast
This discussion was created from comments split from: SENSE router with Google Wifi or similar mesh system.

Comments

• Friso
    Friso Posts: 1 New Member

I completely agree with Aandersens questions and remarks. I am a big fan of F-Secure but it would be nice and good if you could give some clarity on this issue.

My point is it would be nice to learn from F-Secure how to set up network at home for multi user usage, especially in this Corona times the need to have a network capable of multiusers requiring fast connections in the different homes of your house. I have my Sense router quite long now and would like to keep it that way.

The KB post being referenced a couple of times is not realy helpful, especially the quote "SENSE itself may actually fix all your WiFi connectivity issues.", exactly this point is why the current question is raised, it looks like connectivity issues doesnt seems to be solved by SENSE alone. One Interesting article I found is a recent F-Secure Pressroom article "F-Secure and AirTies To Unite Service Providers’ Favorite Security and Smart Wi-Fi Solutions" is that something that might help here as well? Are the AirTies routers capable to set up a Mesh network? Or for example the Nokia Wifi Beacons?

So my question is how to set up a network that is capable of high speed internet in all the rooms of my house, if it is not mesh, what solutions / suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Friso

• Sethu
    Sethu Posts: 687 Forum Champion

Hi @Friso

Your post is now moved from the different post and created as new topic. This should help us to better understand and answer your query. F-Secure SENSE itself is a hardened WIFI router with added security features. Please refer this KB article to know more about data transfer speed of F-Secure SENSE Router over ethernet cable or wifi.

For the best experience:

1) Use SENSE as your primary router device by setting your router in front of SENSE into bridge-mode and using the cable connection for internet connectivity.

2) Connect all your devices directly to SENSE (you can use a regular switch to extend the amount of physical LAN ports if necessary) 

It is possible to use an another router behind SENSE and allow the traffic of those devices to flow through SENSE, but this scenario may have side-effects, such as SENSE not being able to recognize devices behind the secondary routers NAT. When new and unexpected devices connect they normally show up in the SENSE app, but you will lose this benefit if SENSE cannot see them.

Also depending how your secondary router is configured it may reduce the security of your network, depending on your encryption settings, password strength and other factors like security issues in that router's firmware. If your router has a true bridge mode, it should work without side-effects. 

We have not extensively tested WiFi extenders, but extenders with true bridge mode should work and even give you visibility on what the devices behind the extender are doing. Similar caveats apply as with the previous statement about the security of ordinary routers. 

It is not possible to use SENSE in bridge mode at the moment and should not be expected in the foreseeable future. Using SENSE as a bridge has negative consequences for many security use cases SENSE has been specifically designed for. 

Hope this helps and clarifies some issues

This discussion has been closed.