Strange issue with F-secure KEY

Hello. I have been using F-Secure KEY for years on my devices.

I am not sure when this issue started but in short I have 4 devices, 2 android and 2 Windows 10.

On my android mobile phone I am not able to login with my passcode.

All other devices let me login but I get the attached error message, any idea what I could try?

f-secure.PNG

Calu

Best Answer

• kn0rrekn0rre Posts: 11
    Accepted Answer

So after being in contact with F-Secure support I was adviced to start from scratch.

Since I was able to export passwords from some of the devices this was no big issue.

1) Exported passwords

2) Uninstalled F-Secure KEY on all devices.

3) Installed on the device I had exported my passwords

4) Activated Premium voucher code

5) Syncronised all my devices

6) Imported passwords on main device

7) Created random password entries on all devices to make sure all devices replicate correctly.

It took a while but now correctly working again.

Ukko

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,969 Superuser

Hello,

Sounds like if the password is changed  on one Android device. And this action is synced between devices.

I am not sure how it can be (some potential reasons; with inclusion of bugs or threats).

As a result, your try to use old passcode on this android mobile phone is rejected. Need to use "changed" one.

But Windows devices (and?! another android device) still allow to login with previous (old) passcode AND then prompted to add fresh mastercode for further syncing with "first android device".

Could it be?

In general, I can to recommend to do things like:

-- backup your entries (export functionality on Windows devices).

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/How-do-I-export-my-F-Secure-KEY/ta-p/81212

-- maybe to change password on your Windows device and then check whether it is possible to sync it with two other devices (by typing this fresh passcode).

Then it is possible to try manage out something with first android device.

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solution). So, just as a discussion between community users.

Thanks!

Yeah I cannot figure this out, I can login and view passwords on 3/4 devices (I do however get promt that password was changed).

Really hope for F-Secures input on this, it does not make sense that I can view and edit my passwords if I have incorrect master password in the first place

UkkoCalu

Maybe you could try to use their direct Support Channels (for example, chat functionality - should be visible at the bottom right corner):

Really hope for F-Secures input on this, it does not make sense that I can view and edit my passwords if I have incorrect master password in the first place

Good to find reasons for this situation, of course.

Otherwise, I think that to reinstall F-Secure KEY (as clean install) on trouble device and further try to resync devices is a workaround. But just good to keep (create) backup of your entries (via export functionality) until situation will be normalized.

Thanks!

Sethu
  • CaluCalu Posts: 3

Same issue here.

I have not changed the master password of any of my devices, yet I cannot log into my android.

As the original post, I can also log in to 3/4 devices, being my main android device the wonky one.

I can still log in to the other devices... I guess it may be time to do a panic backup.

FYI last sucessful sync was today 10/dec/2019 at 17.12 CET

Ukko

Hello,

Just interesting: your Android devices with different Android version? And what is version of trouble device?

In addition, any recent updates to F-Secure KEY? Or system updates on this device?

Thanks!

• CaluCalu Posts: 3

Android device locked out: Key V 4.9.6 - Android 9 (last OS update Oct 24)

Android device ok: Key V 4.9.6 - Android 8.0.0 (last OS update march 2019)

Android device ok: Key V 4.9.6 - Android 6.0.1 (we don't talk about the last OS update - 2017)

Ukkokn0rre

Same versions here for the device locked out:

Android device locked out: Key V 4.9.6 - Android 9 (last OS update Oct 24)

I will try and call F-Secure today and will post update here.

Ukko

I tried to reinstall on the device I am not able to login to, it accepted the sync code from other device but it will not accept the master password.

I opened a case with F-Secure and provided screenshots from the different devices, hope they can find a solution for this.

Ukko
This discussion has been closed.