rescue cd problem
I used the rescue CD to check my computer without my Operating System running. Up to some months I downloaded the fsdbupdate9.run and included it in a usb key. It worked fine. Now I have a problem. I download the fsdbupdate9,run and I start the computer with the rescue CD. The software runs but at the end of the Converting Aquarius database files the following message appears:
dbupdate: Database update failed
/opt/f-secure/fssp/bin/dbupdate:line50:echo:write error: No space remaining on the device
after this message I used an USB key with 8gb free, but the result was the same
I tried to use the Rescue Cd with the lan connected but it Didn't work, perhaps because I have a fixed Ip address and I don't know to insert it in the Knoppix Operating System of the Rescue CD.
I'd like to use the rescue cd in order to be sure that my computer is free of virus and other malwares.
Could you help me
Does your computer currently have less than 2GB of RAM installed? This is most likely caused by a known issue with the rescue CD. There's an alternative method of udating the databases to an USB key. Though it requires another computer with direct access to the Internet:
- Create a new directory called fsecure to the USB drive.
- Go to the fsecure directory and create a directory called rescuecd under the fsecure directory.
- Start the Rescue CD while the USB drive is still connected to the (another) computer. When the Rescue CD starts, it finds the USB drive you have configured for it.
- Select Next when the Rescue CD notifies you that the memory stick has been found.
- The Rescue CD starts to download the latest databases. The Rescue CD has finished downloading databases when the end-user license agreement appears.
- The memory stick is ready and you can remove the CD and the memory stick.
- Insert the memory stick to the computer you want to run the scan in and use the Rescue CD to boot the computer.
Let me know if this helped? And if possible can you post the specs of your current hardware?
I have a dell latitude d620 with 3 gb of ram. My OS is XP sp3.
May I perform the step "Start the Rescue CD while the USB drive is still connected to the (another) computer. When the Rescue CD starts, it finds the USB drive you have configured for it." using a computer running OS Ubuntu 10.04?
If you have to manually set all the network settings, go to the console once the rescue CD has booted up.
- Edit the /etc/resolv.conf (nano /etc/resolv.conf) and add following line there: nameserver x.x.x.x
Where x.x.x.x is your DNS server's address.
- To set the ipaddress correctly, issue the following command: ifconfig eth0 inet a.a.a.a netmask b.b.b.b
Where a.a.a.a is the desired IP-address and b.b.b.b is the desired netmask.
- To finalized the setting, add a gateway address by issuing the following command: route add default gw c.c.c.c
Where c.c.c.c is the desired gateway address.
Test the connectivity by pinging our root update server address by issuing the following command: ping fsbwserver.f-secure.com5 Like