F-Secure KEY suddenly appears on computers of F-Secure SAFE users?

etomcatetomcat Posts: 1,318 Superuser

Dear Sirs,

I wish to ask if F-Secure Key is installed in an unwanted manner or via some kind of a "click here" promotion on the computers of F-Secure SAFE users?

(Some people have reported this week that their computer suddenly started to show pop-up messages which say roughly "Please click here to browse for the master password recovery barcode image" in hungarian. It turns out their computers also have F-Secure KEY installed, even though all of them claim to have subscribed to anti-malware protection only.)

Thanks in advance, Yours Sincerely:
Tamas Feher, Hungary.

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,995 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Just as my own experience and feedback (even it is not really useful feedback).

My two systems with stable F-Secure SAFE and F-Secure TOTAL with installed F-Secure KEY (by me). But it was not installed from first -> so, I did not notice any 'tricky' promotions for installing KEY during this timeframe.

But there was and maybe still placed "promotion"-button under bottom-left-side of MAIN UI with words like "Get Password Manager" (and I'm already not sure what it will trigger -> KEY website only; or downloading KEY-installer). Probably it was only redirect to their webpage and where possible to download installer and then install it (as not premium software).

Also, ""Please click here to browse for the master password recovery barcode image"" sounds as something not really common. More sounds as Login form of installed F-Secure KEY (for example).

Good if there will be feedback from more experienced users (or this ones who did not use KEY before such state).

OR more good to receive official clarification. :)

Thanks! 

etomcat
  • TuxTux Posts: 7

Hi!

Thank you for contacting us, would you happen to have a screenshot of the popup message? If so, can you please send it to me in a private message?

There can be a promotional link to KEY in SAFE, but user initiative and interaction is needed to get KEY installed.

Laksh
This discussion has been closed.