Key program

Is it possible to log in on random computers 

when both computer and phone is gone?

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

Hello,

Maybe possible to add more explanation-words.

For example, if your ask about potential situation:

--> F-Secure Key was installed under computer and phone. And maybe 'synced' between each other (as F-Secure Key Premium).

This devices start be broken or 'not available'.

Does it possible to login on a random device and get access to your entries? With common meanings - not. Because required your 'localstorage'-database (encrypted entries/data) and your masterpassphrase. If this two 'items' are available for you -> possible to login on random computers.

--> Or your ask about something else?

Thanks!

LakshNäsäviisas
  • @ChNo

With all respect, is this theoretical thinking over? If something happens, then what to do?
    Devices might break(many reasons),
    but hardly at the same time.
    By being careful with phones & computers is possible to avoid harms.

Näsäviisas

• ChNoChNo Posts: 2

This was what I meant

if I get robbed on both my devices then what to do

I was hoping there were some login possibilities on the web site to recover

If I have also credit cards missing/registred it would be of great help to recover the 

card numbers

since the devices are already comunicating with eachother and thereby sending my 

passwords and numbers on the web, this was a possibility that should have been available

thank you for the answer

• @ChNo

From Key-manual:
    It is due to the security risks involved < why not on the net.

Credit card numbers: when you got your cards, was there statement with card, look at that paper, is there card's number and other information, if > put it into safe place.
    If not > write number yourself on paper.

If something should happen, it is important what is in your phone and computer inside,
    and you can get ready for that.

Before trouble situation:
    - backup (cloud service, flash drive etc.)
    - another phone, older, cheap, in reserve
    - important files?
    - your own application?
    - analysis: what is important
    - if something happens: you can use family member's phone & computer > read mails and do payments in netbank, for example

Here some thoughts,
    Näsäviisas

Ukko
  • UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

ChNo wrote:

This was what I meant

if I get robbed on both my devices then what to do

I was hoping there were some login possibilities on the web site to recover

If I have also credit cards missing/registred it would be of great help to recover the 

card numbers

since the devices are already comunicating with eachother and thereby sending my 

passwords and numbers on the web, this was a possibility that should have been available

thank you for the answer

Hello,

I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions) and not an official F-Secure Staff. So, it will be only my unofficial feelings.

I able to think that technically such design is possible point. BUT:

--> If F-Secure stored your localstorage (and not a revision or temporary during 'sync'-process) under their cloud:

Firstly, F-Secure should to track you and do known that it's your localstorage. Maybe it possible -> if you're able ot provide "ID of installation" and other details from "broken devices". But not sure that valid with their Terms-meanings;

There is also some knowledgebase articles (common; and about option to recover masterpassphrase):

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/F-Secure-Key-in-a-nutshell/ta-p/36851

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/Why-isn-t-there-a-security/ta-p/80983

I did ask F-Secure Key team about related concern previously (with not clear response... except what we are able to think currently).

--> Potential workaround is manual backup for localstorage from any of device OR "export"-feature:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/How-do-I-export-my-F-Secure-KEY/ta-p/81212

Maybe this is not friendly step... but do not break F-Secure KEY security design for all of users. And some of users able to increase their experience with own steps (where required more effort to secure it).

Also I able to think that if 'all of synced' devices are broken (or more worst situation) -> can be much more troubles.. than 'how to retrieve' your Key-localstorage (even required to replace it for good).

Thanks! 

Näsäviisas
This discussion has been closed.