Key Autostart on Windows 10 (Ver.: 4.6.112)

Hello,

I've seen that this isn't a new issue but since it is months ago and some versions later, I thought i bring up this topic again.

Problem:

Key is set in autostart and it is not possible to disable is (if disabled, it starts anyway)

The workaround I found here in the Forum dosn't work for me (https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-KEY/Latest-Windows-Version-of-Key-4/m-p/85203/highlight/t...)

Deleted the Valuedata (path to Key ) but still starts.

I hope this problem gets some attention because it is annoying to always close Key on startup. 

Also I don't know if it is a good thing that always when starting your PC the programm which contains all your PWs is visibal for everyone. Its like telling everyone who visits you where you hide your safe :/

UkkoZuiko35

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,964

Hello,

With Windows 10 should be enough less steps than with noted workaround.

- Open system Task Manager (by rightlick for Windows-logo on left-bottom corner -> "task manager" under menu; OR some other steps);

- Under Task Manager switched to "Startup"-tab;

- Under Startup tab to choose F-Secure Key Password Manager - rightclick it and choose Disable-string.

With my own experience -> it works under Windows 10 (before next update probably or some other limitations).

OK, yes, there is some troubles with autorun disable (by system Task Manager).

I did next steps:

-- Disable "Startup"-item under Task Manager (by noted 'striked' words).

-- Then with CCLeaner -> I open regedit about F-Secure Key entry and clear "Value" of it (with save status for entry).

Then I did restart system; then I tried shutdown system and launch it; Launch F-Secure Key between tries. And looks like that it not started automatically already.

Also latest F-Secure Key build is 4.6.120:

https://download.sp.f-secure.com/key/f-secure_key_win.msi

Also I don't know if it is a good thing that always when starting your PC the programm which contains all your PWs is visibal for everyone. Its like telling everyone who visits you where you hide your safe 

If you talk about autostartup Key window. Maybe yes, but if your masterpassphrase is not known for anyone else -> not really critical. At least, because if someone able to monitor your PC - it also possible to find any desktop logos (for F-Secure Key) or list of installed applications. And it will be also known that there is "F-Secure Key". Even required something to look into passwords for being troubleview.

But I still think that option to disable autorun-key can be reasonable and good one.

Thanks!

Moe22
  • Moe22Moe22 Posts: 2

So i disabled Key  under Taskmanager  (Taskmanager->Startup->FSKeyAutostart->disable)

then to CCleaner->Tools->FSKeyAutostart(rightclick)->open in RegEdit->FSKeyAutostart(rightclick)->Edit->Value: "C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure\F-Secure KEY\fskey.exe -tray" delete/clear. 

Now FSKeyAutostart is only showing up in CCleaner (disabled) but isn't anymore listed on Taskmanager/Startup

Still Key pops up as always when is start my PC... so the workaround dosn't work for me or I did something wrong, don't know.

Thanks for the reply.

Zuiko35

@Moe22 wrote:

So i disabled Key  under Taskmanager  (Taskmanager->Startup->FSKeyAutostart->disable)

then to CCleaner->Tools->FSKeyAutostart(rightclick)->open in RegEdit->FSKeyAutostart(rightclick)->Edit->Value: "C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure\F-Secure KEY\fskey.exe -tray" delete/clear. 

Now FSKeyAutostart is only showing up in CCleaner (disabled) but isn't anymore listed on Taskmanager/Startup

Still Key pops up as always when is start my PC... so the workaround dosn't work for me or I did something wrong, don't know.

Thanks for the reply.

Hello,

Your steps sounds as my own try. When workaround does work (or partly work).

Probably I do able (and maybe it was valid with only step about "disable" Task Manager string) to repeat this troublemeanings with next points:

-- If I did restart (shutdown?) system when F-Secure Key was opened/loaded (as tray-picture is active) -> with next launch F-Secure Key indeed pops up when system is started.

-- If I close F-Secure Key application by "tray-picture"-quit button - next load do not trigger autostart of Key.

And I'm not sure if such situation can be designed/expected or this is kind of 'mistake'/trouble.

Does it can be that your experience about such setting (restart/shutdown system with active F-Secure Key tray-picture)?

Thanks.

• LakshLaksh Posts: 4,428

Hi Moe22,

Thanks for bringing it to us again. I have brought this post to the team's notice.

Zuiko35Moe22
  • FdomeFdome Posts: 4

The team is doing nothing. It is scandalous that F-Secure is tampering our computer systems, when the main reason for a consumer buying their products, is to prevent this kind of things happening.

Reminds me, when few years back F-Secure sent e-mails with a virus to their customers.

I hope a F-Secure employee comes to buy a car from me. I will sell him one without engine and when he complains to me, I will tell him to contact other car owners with missing parts and try to find a solution together with them.

• FdomeFdome Posts: 4

What is the "team" exactly doing to fix it? The problem has existed for almost a year. On Twitter I got a response from F-Secure, that the "team" is too busy developing other features, to fix this problem. Using Firefox I got a message, that a script in F-Secure Key is slowing down the the browser. Why do you keep giving these false explanations. Why don't you just tell the truth, that you are doing nothing and will do nothing about the problem.

Ukko

Hello,

Fdome, not concerned all of your replie's meanings - but about potential trouble.

I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions). I did not re-check situation with recent F-Secure KEY builds; but based on previous experience and noted troubles (under topic):

-> does your experience is about 'trouble' with KEY autostart on Windows 10 too?

If so > does your experience is about inability to disable Autorun-key under Windows settings with common steps (like "Task Manager > Startup -> Autorun F-Secure Key entry switch to disabled")?

Or your experience is about additional trouble: that even if autorun-entry is disabled -> KEY is launched with next boot up system?

If so > does your experience is about shutdown/restart system with active F-Secure KEY (tray-picture is visible). And you did not "Quit" (rightclick F-Secure KEY tray-logo) before restart or shutdown?

If yes -> maybe it is partly system-trouble. But I'm not sure what if it is possible to fix by software owners (?! easily).

For example, discussions about entire design (rather than F-Secure KEY design):

I do not able to suggest something (as potential workaround). With my own systems - not so many software with such impact (or possible to bypass it by closing; like it with "F-Secure KEY" and "Quit"-option).

OR your experience is about general situation with F-Secure KEY and its trouble? As result noted experience about Firefox and performance?

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.