Update of F-Secure Key on Android cleaned database

Friend of mine updated F-Secure key on her Android. As a result the app thinks its installed again. I think all passwords are lost. Why did that happen? I can't recommed the app for anyone now. On my ios it has never happened.

Ukko

Comments

• UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions) and not an official F-Secure Staff.

Just as my own unofficial feelings:

--> There was some topics with description for such trouble (for both mobile platforms: iOS/Android):

Where not visible any explanations about reasons. But with some of suggestions/statements about impact of it. Smiley Sad

--> I'm not sure why such trouble happened... but maybe it can be based on something as clear cache/data for Application. by user's steps or by system's optimization.

And if it was an application-based trouble (mistake with F-Secure Key) - like 'localstorage' with database of entries/masterpassphrase is overwritten by Key updating design - good to contact direct F-Secure Support Channels (chat as example):

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

as report about it! But maybe it can be escalated from community by F-Secure Staff.

--> As my own potential tips/advices: good to create 'offline' backup of Key entries. And store it offline or with another place (as protected file). Just for sure.

If device with Premium-subscription. Maybe possible to sync 'trouble'-device back with normal ones (for retrieve passwords/entries) - but good to do it after 'backup' (export entries) with normal device.

Thanks!

Brucew
  • I bought license at least for a while as I wanted to backup my keys to my other phone. And its quite great I did so! This "feature" is not so nice and definetly the customers should at least be warned that this may happen when you update. 

Ukko
  • UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

@Brucew wrote:

I bought license at least for a while as I wanted to backup my keys to my other phone. And its quite great I did so! This "feature" is not so nice and definetly the customers should at least be warned that this may happen when you update. 

Noted topics (by me) with not clear statement about 'does it happened after update or not'.

Since such stories not so often comes into community - maybe trouble based on certain or specific background/setting.

And not clear "this feature" comes by OS/device or by F-Secure Key Application (if you mean by 'feature'  that data is cleaned - when it not expected). With any of meanings -> I feel that good to contact F-Secure Support Channels (or by Android ?! channels?!). Because your topic fourth one (which I do remember) and still not clear 'why it happened'. F-Secure Key team should be with much more visible picture and feedback-count (as understanding - global trouble or not; and how possible to fix/prevent it).

Sorry for my unofficial suggestions. Good if will be attention from official F-Secure Staff.

As my own feelings: such actions sounds worst. Smiley Sad And practically break the purpose of application (as store passwords).

Thanks.

• I appreciate your active and fast feedback and sorry for not browsing first the existing answers. My friend is not at all a "computer geek" but just a very very normal user and she thinks she just updated the app and nothing else. I could ask her phone specs if I take this further.

Ukko
This discussion has been closed.