Creating a ZIP archive and password-protecting it
This article describes how you can create a ZIP archive and password-protect it.
It is recommended that you create a dedicated folder where you copy all the sample files that you want to send to F-Secure for analysis. In addition, you need special software, such as WinZip, to be able to create archive files. If you do not have WinZip, download and install it from http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm.
Creating a ZIP file
To create a ZIP file, complete the following steps:
- To create a new folder, right-click on your desktop and select New > Folder.
- Give the folder a name, such as
- Copy the sample files to the folder you just created.
- To add the sample files to a new zip file, select the files (click Ctrl+A to select all), then select File > WinZip > Add to Zip file. The Add dialog is displayed.
- Enter the path and the zip filename, e.g.
f-securesample.zip, in the Add to archive field. Note that the default folder is the one where the sample files are currently stored.
- Finally click Add. The f-securesample.zip file is created.
Password-protecting the ZIP file
To password-protect the ZIP file, complete the following steps:
- In the WinZip window, select Actions > Encrypt or click the Encrypt button. The Encrypt dialog is displayed.
infectedas the password, confirm it by re-entering the password, and finally click OK. An asterisk (*) is shown at the end of the filename in the WinZip window to indicate that the file was successfully password-protected.
- Select File > Exit to close the WinZip window.