Infected MBR clean up
This discussion has a more recent version.
Master Boot Record (MBR) has been infected by malware and needs to be replaced with a clean MBR
The clean up instructions:
1. Put Recovery Disk in the optical drive, and then start the computer.
- How to create recovery disc:
- When prompted, press any key to continue
- Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard, or an input method, and then click Next
- Click Repair your computer
- Select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
- In CMD input, bootrec with argument /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixmbr
- Restart Computer and at this point, MBR is restored and the malware trace should be removed
Article no: 000013753