This articles applies to the following F-Secure products: PSB Computer Protection, PSB Server Protection, Client Security, Server Security
The F-Secure installation fails and I see windows system event log shows error message: "Error 1920. Service 'F-Secure Hoster (Restricted)' (fsnethoster) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
The error message might indicate that there are missing permissions in the root-directory where the F-Secure product is trying to be installed or is installed:
Other possible solutions:
- You will have to verify that the default permission set. If you are using the default installation path (C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure), verify that the Program Files (x86) directory has permissions set for the following: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.
- In doubt, reset the permission on that specific directory back to defaults and retry the installation.
- Check if Windows is fully updated
- Check or reinstall .NET Framework 4.7.x
- Check or reinstall Universal CRT
- Rename following files to anything else (e.g. vcruntime140_old.dll):
- On 64 bit Windows:
- On 32 bit Windows:
If the steps above still causing error message "fsnethoster does not have sufficient privileges", there is a possibility that registry key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20 doesn't have the required permission for NETWORK SERVICE and fsnethoster is unable to create an entry there. For this follow the steps below to try fix the issue:
- Restart the host
- Click Start
- Type regedit, and press Enter
- Navigate to and select registry key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20
- Select Edit
- Select Permissions
- Click Add...
- Type NETWORK SERVICE
- Click Check Names (the name should get underlined)
- Click OK
- Check Allow checkbox for Full Control (also Read permission should be automatically allowed)
- Click Apply
- Click OK
Article no: 000013226