we are now enabling a new feature that allows you to assign different default profiles based on a devices Active Directory organization path. So what does this feature do:
- It supports currently Computer Protection and Server Protection installations.
- When you install a new Computer or Server Protection client, you can assign a profile based on Active Directory organization path instead of the company default profile.
As this is the very first release for new service, it still has the following limitations that we are going to address in the coming months:
- Active Directory organization tree is built based on our software seeing AD paths reported by existing Computer or Server Protection devices. This means you cannot create rules for totally new deployments that don't have clients installed and reporting the AD paths. As very next step we are adding a feature to manually list your AD organization and then import it to PSB portal to be used.
- If your device changes location in your AD organization tree, we currently do not automatically update the assigned profile.
- We are already working on a feature that will allow you to make a computer follow changes to its AD path and use that for figuring out its current profile. This can be configured to be enabled on a per company basis.
This new service also changes the process for how profiles are assigned to devices: instead of the assignment happening when a device registers to the system, it now happens when a device first starts sending upstream data to the backend. This allows us to add much more complex logic in the future for determining which profile will be assigned to the device.
The upcoming Computer / Server Protection 20.1 release will also bring a new way of assigning profiles to new installations. You will be able to give the profile id as a command line parameter to the installer when starting the client installation and the device will use the given profile instead of using the company default.
We will also soon roll out the frequently requested ability of filtering devices based on the profile that is assigned to them.
I've attached a couple of pictures that show what the feature looks like in the portal.