What is a subscription and how does that relate to lincenses?

What exactly is a subsription and how does that relate to licenses?

How do you get a situation  which in the screshot?

It appears that within this subscription  there are one year, two year and three year licences and even some unused.

When a one year license expires can I stop using a three year license on another device and move it to the decive where the license expires?

Subscriptions.JPG

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for reply...

Something same was here - http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/Licensing-confusion/m-p/49189/highlight/true#M8963

It's not an answer, but just maybe situation same around points, when subscription goes to be "splitted/merged" and etc (it was "known" background, steps and etc.). Topic have something same and also here was some of my words as suggestion "what is it" or "how it happened", but without results.. or confirmation by anyone.. how it certainly happened and worked.

But about other part of your questions. Previously and maybe now it also should be work (except your latest experience - if here without dropped points):

- When you goes to start installation with your subscription, where already all "licenses under license-key" in use.. you should be prompted by installer about "all licenses in use - but you able get more or re-use one of previous (which in fact... can be not in use)". It's can be or should be always, but maybe time to time required "repeated" steps.

- But with my experience.... mechanism about "re-use" licenses - work. It's mean when all "licenses" under "license-key" (as part of "subscription")  goes to be in use.....   next try to install F-Secure prompted about feature with "re-use not-active one" (not just which "not in use") as "re-use" one of licenses from other device (where already it will be not a valid).

More hard... when "Subscription" goes to be with editing.. and here already can be:

various types of "License Keys" - and each "license key" have various "licenses". But all of them.. under one "Subscription".

On current time.... maybe all of that.. goes to be re-designed. Such as... F-Secure SAFE as "SAFE" and Full Protection around multi-devices life... comes with new "value" of F-Secure with freedome-words. :)

Probably all of steps with "licenses" should be not so hard.... step-by-step with new look.

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

You can think of a subscription as the subscription key, and a license as a computer. A subscription can have one or more licenses connected to it. So every license within the subscription will have the same expire date because they share the same subscription key. A subscription is simply a group of licenses(or a single license).

From your screenshot it looks like you have these subscriptions and licenses:

Expires 2014: 2 licenses (unused)

Expires 2015: 1 license

Expires 2016: 3 licenses

Expires 2017: 3 licenses

You can click the "Show subscription keys" and it should show all keys I guess.

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

I can see how many licenses expire at a given date.

The curious thing is that the ones that expire in 2014 roll further by one day every day

When I click on the subscription keys I only see one regardless on which device I do that.

How does that do it?

I ws under the impression when I enter a license key during install on a device and enter another key on another device they are not connected because not data which would allow them to connect is entered by the user during install.

Say if I had a 9 or ten user lincense and that expired.

How would my subscriptions look?

Then entered the  key for  a two year license for three device on one of the devices previous covered.

How would my subscriptions look?

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Thanks, that explains the difference between subscription and a licence.

It does not explain how I got into that.

My recollection is that I had two 10 user one year licenses some time in 2005 or so.

When the y expired I did not use the third 10 user license but only three user licences for two year.

I stil lhave two unused VIP codes, 2 three user 6 month extensions.

Because in early Semptember everything in the subscription was going to expire on October 6 I entered a license which I whought was a three user two year lisence and what you see above is the result.

Then I got a good price on two year license of Safe for five devices. At this rate I am never going to get to that as I have Freedome beta on mobiles  and FS protection on my desktops.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info