Honored Contributor
NikK

Re: How do I get Adware off of my computer?

I'm not familiar with anti-virus for Mac but I assume it works overall like the PC version. If you expand the column "Pad" you should be able to see the full path of the files.

It's a built-in function to report it to F-Secure Labs (depending on your Privacy settings)

If the Mac version has right-click scan functionality(like windows explorer) from OS X Finder program, try scanning one file at a time to see if you perhaps can get more information that way.

If you can find out what type/name of infection it is, you can get more information including additional removal instructions by searching for each infection here: http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/threats/descriptions

Can someone who uses Anti-Virus for Mac help out!

ps. please try to stay in the original thread in the future. now your issue is jumping between your own initial thread and this one, confusing the readers including me.

Regular Visitor
AdBakker

[ Edited ]

ps. please try to stay in the original thread in the future. now your issue is jumping between your own initial thread and this one, confusing the readers including me.

OK, I reacted to the message that you linked me to. It would have been better to repeat that message there because now it is a bit strange to react to a message in another thread.

Anyhow I answered there now. I have right click performance on the Mac, but not on the lines with corrupted files.

Regards,

Ad Bakker

Honored Contributor
NikK

About the right-click, I meant from The Finder where you can browse/search folders and files on your Mac.

But again, I don't know if F-Secure for Mac supports right-click scanning from Finder. Was hoping someone else could verify that!

Trusted Contributor
Rusli

Re: Remove Adware for Mac

[ Edited ]

AdBakker,

Since you are using a Mac.

I am suggesting you to go and read this link.

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg/

Adware Removal Guide

Published November 7th, 2013 at 3:36 PM EST, modified December 17th, 2013 at 7:11 AM EST

adware

Adware has been a plague on the Windows world for years. Unfortunately, this plague has begun to spread to the Mac as well. There are a number of different programs out there that serve no useful purpose except to shove ads in your face, all just to make money for the developer of the adware. Because it lives in the borderline between malware and legit software, though, detection by anti-virus software can be very hit-or-miss. This can make removal difficult.

Adware often comes packaged in installers for other software. Sometimes, this is because it has been added to a legit piece of software by an unscrupulous download site. (Even mainstream download sites, such as Download.com and Softonic, have resorted to this kind of unethical behavior.) Sometimes it is because a developer has opted to use an adware-riddled installer, provided with incentives from the adware creator, to distribute their software. It could even be installed through deceit, by pretending to be something that it is not in order to trick the user into installing it. (This last type is usually the only type that is detected as malware by anti-virus software.)

The most typical symptom of such adware is the display of advertisements on your Mac where none should exist. Adware also will often change your browser’s home page and search engine settings, and may even cause redirects from legit sites to sites constructed for the financial benefit of the adware developer. It can also cause secondary problems, such as web pages displaying incorrectly due to insertion of foreign HTML code, and even browser crashes.

If you have symptoms that lead you to believe that you have adware installed, see the Identification section below for help identifying what adware you have (if any), then refer to the appropriate removal instructions.

Table of Contents

1. Is it adware?
  2. Identification
  3. Removal

Note that this page is a work-in-progress, and probably always will be. If you find adware not described on these pages, or find that known malware is behaving in ways other than as described here, please contact me!

Regular Visitor
AdBakker

Rusli wrote:

AdBakker,

Since you are using a Mac.

I am suggesting you to go and read this link.

Thanks a lot. I have now removed all files that have been detected so I hope to have a clean Mac again:smileyhappy:

Regards,

Ad Bakker

Honored Contributor
Blackcat

Nice post, Rusli :smileywink:

Trusted Contributor
Rusli

If the problem is resolve please click on kudos.

Thanks AdBakker!

Thanks to thesafemac. Very much appreciated to your contributions.