How do I exclude a file or folder from scanning?

0 Kudos

Question

Answer

Sometimes you may want to exclude a file or folder from the scan. Excluded items are not scanned unless you remove them from the excluded items list.

Note: Exclusion lists are separate for real-time and manual scanning. For example, if you exclude a file from the real-time scan, it is scanned during the manual scan unless you exclude it from the manual scan as well.

To exclude a file or folder from scanning:

1. Open Computer Security.
  2. On the main page of Computer Security, click Settings.
  3. Do one of the following:
  • Select Computer Security > Virus and spyware scanning.
  • Select Other settings > Manual scanning.
  • Click the Exclude files from the scan link. The Exclude from scanning dialog is displayed.
  • Depending on what you want to exclude from scanning, do one of the following:
      • To exclude a file, drive, or folder:
      1. Select the Objects tab.
      2. Select the Exclude objects (files, folders…) check box.
      3. Click Add.
      4. Select the file, drive, or folder that you want to exclude from virus scanning.
        Note: Some drives may be removable drives, such as CD, DVD or network drives. Network drives and empty removable drives cannot be excluded.
      5. Click OK to close the Exclude from scanning dialog.
        • To exclude a specific file type:
        1. Select the File Types tab.
        2. Select the Exclude files with these extensions check box.
        3. Type the file extension, which identifies the type of files you want to exclude, in the field next to the Add button.
        4. Click Add.
        5. Repeat the steps 3 and 4 for any other extension you want to exclude from scanning.
        6. Click OK to close the Exclude from scanning dialog.

Note: Some files cannot be excluded and will always be scanned, such as executable files.

This article in other languages:
        Finnish, Swedish, German, French, Japanese, Italian, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish

(8,842 Views)

Contributors