F-Secure Community gets a facelift! New features, too!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Valued Community Members,

We would like to introduce you to the redesigned F-Secure Community, and walk you through a few of the improvements.

To simplify use of the forums and knowledge base, we’ve overhauled the look and feel.  Some of the changes include:

-           Reducing the header and footer, and making the search field more prominent

-           Adding bold and vibrant colors in places where actions are required

-           Improving overall legibility

-           Making the design lighter and more modern

-           Personalizing the kudo image

We’ve also added new features that simplify how you upload and organize images.  You can now:

-          Organize images into albums (Private and Public albums are available by default)

-          Upload up to 10 images at a time, and create albums at the same time

-          Edit a name, description or tag of your images

-          Scroll through album images with a carousel slider

-          Interact with other users’ public images by viewing albums, giving kudos or posting comments

-          Edit or crop your avatar

And don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten about browsing from your phones and other modern devices – improving the mobile experience in next on our agenda, so stay tuned!

And do let us know what you think of the changes – we’re always happy to hear from you!

All the best,

// Chrissy

Community Manager

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    It's nice to see the forum being moved forward. As I've said elsewhere,
    I can't say I'm all that keen on the new F-Secure colour scheme, but I expect it will grow on me. :)

I like the sound of the new features, and the improved images management sounds like a great idea, but I'll have to wait until I'm on the PC later to try it.

I note that some functions, such as Macro insertion, is still not available when using a mobile, even on the Full interface. Is that something being worked on?
  • Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

I am with Simon on the new color scheme; sunglasses definitely needed!

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

I like it! No problems with the colours, but some problems with functionality and layout:

1. The search function doesn't show what I type, very confusing!
    2. The search function might be hard to find, especially if you have a bookmark to go directly to a specific board.
    3. Sticky posts/threads looks like regular ones, they are hard to identify now.
    4. Font sizes etc are unnecessary large and there's too much empty space between threads and rows. The Kudos column is back in listing views which takes up unnecessary space, to the cost of the Subject column being split to multiple lines.

I've tested in both IE and FF and in the Security board I can now only see 1-2 threads besides the sticky ones (without scrolling). If I change the zoom level from 100% to about 75-80% then I can see as many threads in one page as I did with the old layout.

• [Deleted User]

Thank you All for feedback, valid points! We'll make some adjustments to improve the spacing, search and outlining floated posts. Much appreciated.

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Sounds great!

I noticed that what I type in search is visible again now Smiley Very Happy

• baroque-quest
    baroque-quest Posts: 74 Enthusiast

I am not a fan of your new Communities site.  Once there, if I use the Back button or go to http://community.f-secure.com/, I am trapped there.  Under "OUR COMMUNITIES" there are no communities!  And if I press the F-Secure logo at the upper-left, I am not returned to www.f-secure.com as I would expect.  Now I am forced to return to F-Secure's homepage and find communities via Support -> Go to communities.  All of this is using IE11.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Link for F-Secure website - able to get from "down" of community page :)

Which without big differents between two logos "for community" and "for website".

Maybe it indeed should be with something more... than just "description" during target.

Because... I also thought around... "top-picture" like "link" for website.

• Simon

I agree, there should be a link to the main F-Secure website at the top of the page on here.  The pink logo at the bottom will take you to it, but even that isn't obvious until you try it.

• Simon

I've discovered another issue with the new skin.  Unfortunately, I can't produce a screenshot at the moment, but in the mobile interface, some posts (new posts?) have a blue background, which is virtually the same colour as hyperlinks, making the links themselves invisible.  I was looking at this excellent post by NikK yesterday, on my phone, and couldn't see any of the links!

• [Deleted User]

More valid points, thanks all for sharing!

As for the mobile interface, this is something we're actively working on, and all screenshots and alerts to difficulties will help us narrow the focus of our improvements.

However, since summertime is upon us, be prepared that this may take us a bit longer than usual due to vacations.  If there are any showstoppers, please PM these to me, and I'll do what I can to sort them out.

Be advised, however, that our support of the community will NOT be much reduced - and now that I've returned from vacation/sick leave, you can feel confident that moderation and escalations will be more timely than the last few weeks, so thanks for sticking with us and being an integral part of our team!  Additional and improved moderation tactics will be employed in the coming months so we don't run into any unfortunate downtime.

About monthly mentions - this will be returning in some form or another.  We've got some ideas in mind on how to recognize and reward our loyal users, and welcome our new ones, so I'll be sharing that with you all soon!

As for the colorscheme, which many of you seem adverse to, I sure hope you start getting used to it Smiley Wink  It's different, for sure, and we can still tweak the links and legibility, but hopefully F-Secure's bright, bold new look will grow on you as it has for me!  We all need a bit more color in this bleak digital whirlpool!

• Simon
    Hi Chrissy,

I've been trying to replicate the links issue with the blue background, in order to provide a screenshot, but haven't found a way to do so.

What triggers the blue background for posts on the mobile interface? If it's new posts, I'll try to do one next time someone posts something new with links in. Your post above this came up blue, but didn't contain any links! Smiley Wink
  • Simon
    That did it! It must be new posts then.

I've now got a screenshot captured but can't upload it from my iPhone (FGS!), so I'll have to do it later from my PC. :)
  • Simon

So, here's the promised screenshot.  As can (or rather cannot) be seen, the link blends into the background and becomes virtually invisible.

photo.PNG

• [Deleted User]

Thanks, Simon!  That's very helpful.  Unfortunately I'm not an expert at the technical platform functionality, but seeing that it is based on new posts, that helps us pinpoint the issue.  I'll try to attempt something, otherwise I'll forward it to the development team.

Good to know that the link almost shows, though Smiley Wink

• Simon
  • [Deleted User]

The links in new posts in the mobile view should be fully  visible now. Thank you for the effort to produce the screenshot! 

• Simon
    Yes, they are! Thanks, Ania. :)
  • alienpirate
    alienpirate Posts: 9 New Member

but you failed to provide a telephone number! also unable to renew with different (combination of equipment) so catostrophy last year and now -still not solve this year... all I want is to protect my phone Tablet and PC but unable to do this in the renewals process becuase you only renwel like for like the cost doubles if you want to make a change

• [Deleted User]

Hello @alienpirate 

sorry that you're experiencing problems with your renewal - I suggest you create a support request here and one of our experts will be able to help you. 

This thread is related to the community look and feel, you are welcome to comment on that!

This discussion has been closed.